Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 1997 14:29:45 +1200
From:      Chris Pugmire <netwin@world.std.com>
To:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   News Server Software for FreeBSD

Dear FreeBSD Team,

Can you please pass this email to the appropriate person.
We are interested in discussing what opportunity there is to have the
DNEWS News Server included in your FreeBSD package.

The INN News Server is currently provided with your distribution. INN
is a good News Server but we believe it would be of value to provide your users
with a choice in this area. We have many FreeBSD users currently, the DNEWS
server provides them very easy installation and management, reliable performance
and virtually no administation overhead. We find we are better able to
meet the needs of many system admins who do not necessarily have the technical
knowledge or time that can be required to run INN. DNEWS also has several
features not provided by INN these include our unique dynamic sucking feed
option, and built in news to web gateway.

The dynamic sucking feed option can provide significant savings in discpace and
network bandwidth by dynamically selecting and maintaining only those news
groups that are actually read. The news to web gateway allows users to read and
post news directly from web pages using any browser and includes full text
searching.

Our initial thinking was that we could provide a compiled copy of the Lite
version of DNEWS which normally retails at US$220, for you to distribute
freely with FreeBSD.

I note that beginning with FreeBSD Release 2.0.5, FreeBSD will include demo
versions of some commercial and shareware software products, perhaps this
would be the appropriate area for our contribution?

We look forward to your response. Keep up the good work.

Kind regards
Stephen Pugmire
Netwin Limited.