Date:      15 Sep 1999 01:13:18 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape backups

John <papalia@UDel.Edu> wrote:

> My boss hit me with this question, and I'm not sure of the answer.  We are
> looking at buying 5 new servers, all of which will be configured (my
> byself.... *gulp*) to run FBSD.  In an effort to save $$$, he wants to omit
> tape drives from each server, and instead get one server with a
> tape-changer in it.

Very reasonable. Make sure the tape changer works with FreeBSD. I
have no experience in this area, but I'd be wary of solutions
requiring proprietary drivers etc.

> I'm assuming that this will be possible to do using dumps over
> NFS, however I was hoping for some confirmation from someone with
> more experience in this?

You can't do dumps over NFS. Instead, you run the dump locally and sent
its output over the net. In fact, dump itself supports writing to
user@host:device. Otherwise you can dump to standard output, pipe into
rsh, and continue from there. The same for restore, just in reverse.

Also, if you backup a small group of hosts on a central server, you
might want to look into Amanda (ports/misc/amanda24), which very nicely
helps to automate this kind of thing--including support for tape
changers.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de