Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/18010: ksame (kdegames-1.1.2) comes up with blank window.

The following reply was made to PR ports/18010; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To: david@usermode.org
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:18:01 -0400

 On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 11:02:42AM -0700, david@usermode.org wrote:
 > The game ksame, in the kdegames-1.1.2 package, comes up with a blank window.
 > Everything seems to be working except the display. Poking around, it appears
 > that ksame uses some gif files to display sprites with, and that qt-1.45
 > which it depends upon does not have gif support compiled in.
 >
 > Hard to say if this is a ksame problem or a qt problem.

 It's a ksame problem. GIF has a restrictive license, so Qt now only uses
 PNG (and other) image formats.

 > Recompiling qt with gif support should solve the problem, or convert the
 > images ksame uses to another format.

 Since I doubt the KDE group will release any further kde 1.1.x tarballs, I
 think you (and everyone else) is stuck with this problem.

 KDE2 is coming out soon, so you don't have to live with this for too long.
 May I close this PR pending the import of kdegames2?

 --
 Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>