Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 14:21:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Frank MacLachlan <fpm@n2.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        fpm@ravel.n2.net (Frank MacLachlan)
Subject:   Problem w/ PPP and virtual web configuration

I'm trying to help someone set up a FreeBSD-2.1.5R system to
serve virtual WWW domains (using the Apache http server) and
virtual mail domains.  He has registered a domain name and
has a block of eight IP addresses assigned to him from a
local ISP provider.  He wants to connect his FreeBSD system
to the provider full time via PPP, experiment w/ the web pages
on the system, and do some testing w/ people accessing his
over the internet.  He doesn't care about the rotten perfor-
mance he'll probably get during the testing phase.  At some
point, the system would be co-hosted.

I'm stumped because the virtual web hosting seems to require
alias IP addresses.  I've seen this work with ethernet cards,
but when I try to create alias IP addresses for the tunnel
PPP device w/ ifconfig, I get 'ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Destination
address required'.  I tried including the IP address of the
far end of the PPP link, but got 'ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR):
File exists' for my efforts.

Is there any reasonable way to do this?  I've looked through
my FreeBSD mailing list archives, but haven't found anything
helpful.  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank MacLachlan