Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 12:04:37 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Jerry.Kendall@vmicls.com (Jerry Kendall)
Cc:        martin@victor.innovus.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskless X server using FreeBSD 2.0.5R

Last april we needed to replace a Wyse-60 terminal with
something that could display kanji for a property we
were installing in Japan.  After fighting with a Wyse
X-Terminal for a week or so last april, I striped down
a system and built a diskless X-Terminal based on old
hardware we had laying around. It wasn't going to be a
high-performace thing, it just needed to display kanji.

The basic config was:

386DX-40
4MB ram (was later upgraded to 8M for performance)
3c509
et3000 (8-bit!)

I used the bootrom out of /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/netboot
to boot from an SCO host.

I made provisions to have multiple X-Terminals booting
from a single host. I had separate root and
/usr partitions, the root would be on a `per-X-Terminal'
basis, with a shared /usr.  The only binaries on the
root partition are the kernel and the crunched binary
from /stand.  /usr has some stuff from /usr/bin and from
/usr/sbin, plus the X-Server, and whatever is necessary
to use kanji (kterm, kinput2, and the canna server I think).

I think that the biggest problems I had were

1) The num-lock thing stumped me for a day or so.
   I initially `solved' this by taking the mouse
   away, because our machine is only going to
   run one `kterm' and switching focus with the
   mouse could be confusing to the users.  I just
   told the X-server to use an unused pty for the
   mouse device.  I later figured out that you
   simply need to turn off num-lock, but not
   having a mouse was a better solution for our
   situation.

2) SCO's implementation of NFS doesn't allow making
   named sockets, so local X-clients either have
   to use an inet-domain socket, or you have to
   use an mfs partition for /tmp/.X11-unix, or
   alternatively you can make a small ufs image
   and mount it via the vnode driver.

3) once the SCO host was backed up and restored
   onto a new machine, and the X-Terminal
   mysteriously wouldn't boot.  The machine
   was backed up with tar, so the /dev entries
   weren't preserved and init couldn't open
   its proper file descriptors.  And the
   machine just hung after the kernel booted.

I had gone so far as to create crunchgen(1) config
files for the root and /usr binaries, so that
only the X specific binaries weren't crunched, but
I haven't had time to finish that.

If you'd like my file lists of what I'm using,
I'd be happy to help.

eric.

--
erich@lodgenet.com