Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:10:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Kraemer <brian@etchings.com>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't boot a new kernel

Hello,

I'm not subscribed to this list so please Cc me on any replies.

I have an old AlphaStation 255 that I managed to put FreeBSD 5.2.1-RC2 on.
The install went fine once I got SRM into the bios.

After getting it installed, I cvsup'd the current sources and rebuilt the
system. Everything built fine but I am unable to boot any of the new
kernels I have built. I built both a custom kernel and the standard
GENERIC kernel.

When I try to boot either of these kernels from SRM, the screen goes from
blue to black and then quickly back to blue again. I then get a message
that CPU 0 is halted. No other error message is displayed.

I can consistently boot the GENERIC kernel that came in the 5.2.1-RC2
dist, but I can't boot any of the kernels that I have built from sources.
Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone have any suggestions?

-Brian