Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 23:36:53 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Newton, Harry" <NewtonHa@logica.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Network cards: 3com XL rumour ...

Hi Harry,

	Personally, I don't use 3Com hardware.  Pre-3Com USRobotics hardware is
great (but it's generally restricted to modems only).  That should say
something right off the bat.

	Secondly, replacing a 3Com with an Intel would be a good step up.
Consensus around here is that Intel NICs are probably the best you're going
to find.  Personally, I have had a lot of success with SMC NICs, but I can't
bag on Intel too much anymore now that I have a server with an Intel built
into the motherboard.

	Whatever you do, do NOT replace a 3Com with a RealTek, unless you're really
sadistic.

--- Andy