Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2011 23:22:18 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] GNU make 3.82

>On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 09:14:50PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>> There are way too many things happening "in private" around here and
>> the only way to solve that problem is to open the doors.
>
>Would you please offer examples of decisions that you feel that way about?

We need not look any farther than this episode to see an example of
how things could have been handled better.  I don't think that the
course of action that was ultimately adopted was unreasonable, but did
we have to wait from the 8 October, when I filed
ports/151312, until your forwarded message of 11 March:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2011-March/066478.html

to learn what was actually broken by the change, so that we could
begin to fix it?  Shortly after you sent your message to the lists,
other people began to help. This could have happened a lot sooner, and
we could have avoided some of this discreditable bickering.

b.