Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:27:54 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, vans@static.bigfoot.com
Subject:   Re: Sendmail dying

On Tuesday, 21 July 1998 at 11:07:37 -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:45:30 -0400 (EDT)
>> From: Trans Vans <vans@static.bigfoot.com>
>
>> /kernel: pid 5312 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
>> sendmail[5311]:NOQUEUE :SYSERR(root): SMTP-MAIL: died on signal 11
>
>>	Ok so sendmail has died for me.  I'm not too heartbroken because a
>> kill -HUP fixed it.
>
> I find that somewhat confusing.
>
> In the environments I've previously been exp[osed to, once a process had
> terminated (as a result of receipt of a signal, or any other reason),
> sending a signal to the process would merely result in the "kill"
> program whining about "no such process".

I think what he means is that a child of the sendmail daemon dies (look
at the PIDs in the messages), and that he kill -HUP's the parent
process.  I've seen something like this with 8.9.0, which occasionally
got itself screwed up and started rejecting messages for no good
reason.  Again, a SIGHUP cured it.  I haven't seen this problem since
8.9.1, but I wouldn't count on it being gone.

Greg