Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 1997 13:48:56 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (Hackers)
Subject:   Re: Building PAO kernel on non-PAO system

As Steve Sims wrote:

> My desktop machine is a P5 with gobs of RAM and disk (running
> [pretty]-current, FWIW) and it occurs to me that one approach might be to
> build the PAO-enabled 2.1.6 kernel on the desktop and just NFS it back to the
> laptop (thereby saving tons o' time).

If you've got NFS, you can of course already use your desktop machine
to compile it anyway.  I'm doing this all day with my old 386/40
scratchbox's kernel.  Simply NFS-export /usr/src/sys on the client.
The kernel build is mostly self-contained, so it's fairly version
independant.  config(8) is much more version dependant, so run it on
the notebook, not on the desktop box.

--
cheers, J"org