Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:16:48 -0000
From:      "Lawrence Farr" <freebsd-smp@epcdirect.co.uk>
To:        "'Fabian Wenk'" <fabian@wenks.ch>, <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Areca Weirdness

** lots of helpful info cut from here **

> bye
> Fabian

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply!

I created a 2Tb volume within the raid set and booted off that
without issue in the end. On Linux and FreeBSD I had to use GPT
support for the larger partitions. Coincidentally, the culprit
of the mystery crashes that I was having may have been a dodgy
power supply (it went off with an impressive bang yesterday).
It had been fine on i386 booting directly from the Areca for a
few weeks now tho.