Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2012 15:03:23 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r243594 - head/sys/netinet

Alfred,

I can make the same argument about "out of the box" experiences with
Linux and FreeBSD on embedded.

If the embedded experience out of the box "isn't as good or better"
than Linux, people will go with Linux.

I think you're only really considering the server space. The bigger
issue here is "people who are changing the algorithms are making
different but same mistakes as the earlier algorithms", which is
"works for me,".

Solving a lot of this stuff for both small and large scale doesn't
_have_ to be too difficult. The current attempt at making things nicer
for the server space has shown it doesn't work for the non-server
space. That means the problem isn't fully understood.

Honestly, I'd rather see a lot of this auto-tuning be done at run-time
rather than compile or boot time, with some relatively smart tools
that can look at the system specifications and current mbuf/allocator
configuration, look at some historical information about allocations,
and make suggestions about what can be tuned.

You can _also_ make the defaults work well on the low end and the high
end. The tool(s) shouldn't be _instead_ of that, it should be _with_
that.

Let's try to understand the problem space a bit better before we start
changing things some more. It's obvious from the recent changes that
people don't understand the bigger picture.

Adrian