Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2023 13:32:06 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: High swap use building Kyuafile on Pi3

On Sep 8, 2023, at 10:58, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2023, at 09:14, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>=20
>> While building a -current world on Pi3 using -DWITH_META_MODE it =
appears that
>> swap use is quite heavy (~2GB) well after clang finishes compiling.=20=

>>=20
>> The tail of the build log shows=20
>> Building =
/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/lib/googletest/tests/gmock_main/Kyuafile
>> as the last entry, suggesting something in tests is the cause.
>>=20
>> The machine reports
>> FreeBSD pelorus.zefox.org 15.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 15.0-CURRENT aarch64 =
1500000 #49 main-n265134-4a9cd9fc22d7: Mon Sep  4 10:08:30 PDT 2023     =
bob@pelorus.zefox.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC arm64
>>=20
>> The build command is
>> make -j3 -DWITH_META_MODE  buildworld > buildworld.log
>=20
> So up to 3 builders can be active at the same time.
> You seem to have described only 1 builder's activity.
>=20
> Was it the only active builder? If other builders were
> active at the time you also need to check on what they
> were doing. The ~2GB is the total across all activity,
> including the (up to) 3 builders.
>=20
> A command that would show the active builders would be:
>=20
> # poudriere status -b
>=20
> where:
>=20
>     -b           Show details about what each builder for the matched =
builds
>                  are doing.
>=20
>> This behavior seems new, in the last few weeks.=20
>> Is it to be expected?=20
>>=20
>=20
> I suggest reporting the "poudriere status -b" output
> from a time frame with the ~2GB of swap space active.
>=20
> Until then, there is insufficient information to have
> a yes/no answer.
>=20

I forgot to mention about when a builder's temporary disk
space is cleaned out. It is not when the builder finishes.
It is, instead, when the builder starts to be put to use
for its next build --or when poudriere is doing it all-done
overall clean out.

This has the consequence that if there are no more uses of
the builder that are going to happen but other builders are
still running, the clean up does not happen until poudriere
does its final, overall cleanup. If such a builder with no
more to build used large amounts of storage space for its
last build, the space stays in use until the overall build
is done.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com