Date:      Mon, 22 May 1995 11:38:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Bug in tar or ...?

I'm running -current as of 5/20.  In attempting to install the
emacs-19.28.tgz package from freebsd.org using pkg_manage, I ran into
some problems:

1.  pkg_manage does not remove older packages from the /var/db/pkg
    directory (I wanted to emove emacs 19.27).  I had to manually
    delete that directory.  (This has happened before)

2.  pkg_manage reported that the emacs-19.28.tgz package required
    93 MB to install (93xxx kB).  This didn't sound right at all,
    because 19.27 was roughly the same size and fit just fine.
    (At first I though maybe it contained the sources, too).

3.  pkg_add also reported not enough space to install it.

I decided to use 'tar tzvf' to inspect the tar file and noticed that
it had two entries for the emacs-19.28 binary, and began looping
with an apparently infinite listing of files.  When I saw the same
library and elisp files listed for the third time, I knew something
was wrong.

The FTP transfer was without error.  So I'm wondering if there is a
bug in tar in current on large archives, or if the package on
freebsd.org or my end is corrupted.

cksum gives me:

2453133443 27136131 emacs-19.28.tgz

P.S.  pkg_manage's delete feature did not appear to remove anything
other than the emacs executable.  The /usr/local/lib/emacs/19.27
directory and all the files remained following the pkg_manage delete
attempt.