Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:52:57 -0500
From:      "Charles Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Alexandr Kovalenko" <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Designing server: help needed

Alexandr Kovalenko wrote:
> [sorry for crosspost, as far as I'm not sure if -stable@ is appropriate list]

Probably not, but that's okay.

> I need to assemble server for some memory/disk/CPU-consuming tasks.
> I've already decided these parts:
>
> CPU: 2xP-IV 2GHz
> RAM: 512Mb
> Motherboard: ServerWorks SE7500CW2

Without identifying the tasks, it's hard for anyone else to give you specific
advice.  But I suspect that for most purposes, a single CPU with more memory
would probably work out better.  SMP adds a lot of cost-- you've gotta get P3's
or Xenon's, right, not normal P4's, to do SMP, as well as the dual-proc
motherboard?

> Now I need to choose storage solution for it. I have two chioces:
> - SCSI RAID;
> - ATA RAID;
> - External ATA/SCSI RAID.
>
> I would like to ask you about what SCSI/ATA/External RAIDs are showed
> good in your practice.

How much disk storage are you going to need?  What kind of I/O patterns is the
workload going to entail?  (What balance of reads and writes, sequential versus
random access, etc.)  What kind of fault-tolerance and hot-swappability do you
need/want?

-Chuck