Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:06:01 -0800
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maildir Format

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012, APseudoUtopia wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm setting up the email system on my server. I got rid of sendmail
>and installed postfix, and I will be installing dovecot. I researched
>the difference between mbox and maildir formats, and I'm going to go
>with the Maildir. I'm running everything on ZFS, so many small files
>shouldn't be a problem.
>
>My problem is, before I made any of these changes and was using the
>default sendmail setup, I was using /usr/bin/mail to read my periodic
>and cron outputs. However, after I installed postfix with the Maildir
>delivery option, I quickly realized that /usr/bin/mail doesn't support
>Maildir.
>
>Can anyone suggest a MUA which has support for Maildir that I can use?
>I'm looking for something simple and command line, similar to
>/usr/bin/mail that I can use until I get around to installing Dovecot.
>The only one I know of off the top of my head is mutt. I've never had
>much use, and thus experience, with unix MUAs.

Mutt would be my choice.  I have been using it for over a decade,
and it handles Maildir as well as other common mailbox formats.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

The essence of all slavery consists in taking the produce of another's
labor by force. It is immaterial whether this force be founded on ownership
of the slave or ownership of the money that he must get to live on.
    Leo Tolstoy 1891