Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:36:07 -0700
From:      Dirk Kleinhesselink <djk@djk.saintl.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   EIDE support in FreeBSD alpha ?

    I have a PC164 alpha system that has no SCSI controller and had NT with
the ARC console.  I downloaded the latest SRM firmware and was able to switch
to SRM.  When I do a show device, the SRM reports DVA0, DQA0 and DQA1 --
it also shows the models of the ide disks on DQA0 and DQA1 -- these are ide
disks on the primary IDE controller.  It does NOT report the ATAPI CD-ROM that
is on the secondary IDE controller.  I tried to boot up FreeBSD with the
4.0 snapshot kernel and mfsroot disks from 5/24.  The floppies booted OK and I
got to an installation screen, but it said I had no disks.  For what it's worth,
I also have OpenBSD 2.5 and I decided to see what would happen if I tried to
boot this up.  To my pleasant surprise, OpenBSD 2.5 sees the IDE controllers and
both disks and the ATAPI CD-rom.  I was able to install OpenBSD and run it,
except for X-windows as OpenBSD seems only to have support for tga video on
alpha.  Given this, it seems that FreeBSD should be able to check for the
ide controllers and attached devices.

I have a Tekram DC-390F Ultra-Wide SCSI controller that is in an Intel box with
a CD-Writer.  This controller is very reasonably priced these days and has the
53C875 chip in it (I paid $75 for mine).  I popped it in my PC164 and SRM
recognizes it, so if anyone is looking for a cheap SCSI controller, this one
seems to work.

Dirk