Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 95 17:33:47 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        ache@astral.msk.su, bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@freebsd.org, harry@hgac.com, jkh@violet.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: dial up at > 9600 baud

> It's not nice to have to specify the speed in more than one place, but
> I regard that as a bug in getty or gettytab.  getty thinks it owns the
> line, but it doesn't if the dialout devices are used.  gettytab is
> unsuitable for general use.  The database for the initial settings is
> best maintained by the driver.  We already have good access methods,
> e.g., `stty -g' :-).

The port state information for incoming and outgoing communications
on a given port should be maintained *seperately* for the tty devices
accessing the port.  Then this wouldn't be a problem.

The only thing the drivers should have in common is interfaces to
the interlock protocol to prevent simultaneous use.

One of the requirements of port allocation within the context of the
locking forotocol for bidirectional use is the instantiation of the
tty setting for the port obtaining open access oto the physical
hardware.

The same thing goes for a "transparent printer" driver, if one were to
be created.

> >I think that getty don't play role here. Most modern modems are
> >able to sense local interface speed somehow, maybe initial
> >connect handshake involved or other tricks, I don't know
> >exactly.
>
> It can't possibly depend on anything except signals on its RX line, and
> getty is in complete control of those (unless there are bugs).  I'm
> assuming an external modem.  For an internal modem emulating a 16x50,
> the current 16x50 setting should apply.

I agree 100% here.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu