Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2006 08:42:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <jan.grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Bob Schwartz <bob@bschwartz.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, 'Bill Moran' <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
Subject:   RE: Questions on first-time installation

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Bob Schwartz wrote:

> ... at least as it is desribed in the DELL
> docs and bios...

Be really careful. The windows boot loader should be able to boot a
freebsd install for you. Dell usually ship their machines with a small
partition at the front of the drive (at least, they did last time I
received one). That partition is at an odd offset and didn't agree with
the FBSD partition editor: I found this out the hard way. Things may
have changed since then; I usually nuke the dell partition anyway.

jan

PS. I should say that my bad experience with the partition editor is a
few years old; I've not tried again recently with new Dell kit.

--
jan grant, ISYS, University of Bristol. http://www.bris.ac.uk/
Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/