Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:28:28 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        shmit@kublai.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV Support for sd and st Devices (was: time for some new man pages)

> Linux uses sd[a-z], not sd[0-9].

I wasn't arguing about unit "numbers".  We went from sdX to daX.

> SunOS 4.x uses a fixed target -> device name mapping. Just because they
> share the same prefix doesn't give you any additional win, since they
> have different semantics.

Why not??  I wire down my FreeBSD kernels so that the unit number matches
the SCSI ID?  One can change the hardwireing when they rebuild a SunOS
kernel.  What's the differnece?

> My point was (and still is), the notion of OS portability for
> something like device nodes just isn't going to be viable any time
> in the near future. Portability between OS' is not an issue.

Actually amount Solaris, HP-UX, and presumably UnixWare there is.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.ucdavis.edu  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)