Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:21:55 -0600
From:      Ford Prefect <fordp@guide.chi.il.us>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: creating freebsd partition

There is a tool called fips that may be of help to you, it is located on
the cd in the tools directory (I think) otherwise it can be found at
http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/

I've never used this, but I believe it is meant for similar tasks.
(breaking up a partition for a new one can be created.)

-Steve

At 02:42 PM 1/25/00 -0800, you wrote:
>OK, so extended partitions are a kludge, but I have a system already
>running Windows with a 6 GB disk that is already partitioned into a 4
>GB primary and a 2 GB extended partition. It's already running Windows
>and, much as I wish it was otherwise, I need to keep running Windows
>part time on that system. I really don't want to have to re-install
>Windows, either.
>
>Is it hopeless or is there some way to make this work? I did see one
>message from someone who said he had installed FreeBSD in an extended
>partition. and the novice install (in sysinstall) seems to accept it
>when I tell it to make the extended partition into a FreeBSD
>partition, although I bailed before it actually did anything.
>
>R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
>Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
>Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
>E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

 \ Ford Prefect                   Ahead of my time.    \
  \ fordp@guide.chi.il.us           but only by a week. \
   \ homepage.interaccess.com/~fordp                     \
     \          ((In esperanto where available))           \