Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2011 18:27:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        alc@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Analyzing wired memory?

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to track by some way what kernel system, process or thread
>> has wired memory? (including "data exists but needs code to extract it")
>>
> No.
>

>> I'd like to analyze a system where there is a lot of memory wired but not
>> accounted for in the output of vmstat -m and vmstat -z. There are no user
>> processes which would lock memory themselves.
>>
>> Any pointers?
>>
> Have you accounted for the buffer cache?

John and I have occasionally talked about making procstat -v work on the
kernel; conceivably it could also export a wired page count for mappings where
it makes sense.  Ideally procstat would drill in a bit and allow you to see
things at least at the granularty of "this page range was allocated to UMA".

Robert