Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:55:17 +0000
From:      Johannes Totz <johannes@jo-t.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic: solaris assert

Hi!

Just got a panic trying to create a new dataset on a test-pool.
No dump, this is transcribbled off the screen:

panic: solaris assert: zfs_get_zplprop(os, ZFS_PROP_NORMALIZE, &norm) ==
0, file:
/usr/src/sys/modules/zfs../../cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/zfs_ioctl.c,
line: 2819
cpuid = 0
KDB: stack backtrace:
#0 ... kbd_backtrace
#1 ... panic
#2 ... zfs_fill_zplprops_impl
#3 ... zfs_ioc_create
#4 ... zfsdev_ioctl
#5 ... devfs_ioctl_f
#6 ... kern_ioctl
#7 ... sys_ioctl
#8 ... amd64_syscall
#9 ... Xfast_syscall

I don't have pool config anymore. The only curious thing was that zpool
status reported lots of checksum errors but nonetheless regarded it
"healthy"...

This is on:
FreeBSD XXX 9.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-PRERELEASE #0 r227793: Mon Nov 21
20:19:04 GMT 2011     root@XXX:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I checked the code for the assert. Instead of just assert'ing the return
value it might be better to return an error to the caller and fail
dataset creation.

Johannes