Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 20:44:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      proff@suburbia.net
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfilter

I have almost completed my ipfilter-current integration. If anyone
has any outstanding code can they please send it to me.

ps. darren: I'm considering breaking out nearly all of your #includes into
	    seven different files:

		conf.h
		dns.h
		netkern.h
		kernel.h
		types.h
		netinet.h
		user.h

	At the moment the <includes> are a mess and not easily maintainable
	across platforms. The changes in FreeBSD's include files don't
	help, but ipfilter should be able to adapt more easily to
	such conflicts.

	I still haven't nailed the mbuf leak in the tcp-state
	following code.  I've stopped the various panics that occur
	when pass returns strange values, nonetheless ipf was happy
	to eat over a 1000k in data mbuf's with only a few dozen
	concurrently active connections last night, and a high-water
	(according to ipfstat) of 78 connections.

e.g

	1408/1440 mbufs in use:
		1391 mbufs allocated to data
		1 mbufs allocated to packet headers
		13 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
		3 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
	313/318 mbuf clusters in use
	816 Kbytes allocated to network (98% in use)
	0 requests for memory denied
	0 requests for memory delayed
	0 calls to protocol drain routines

--
Prof. Julian Assange  |If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people
proff@suburbia.net    |and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless
proff@gnu.ai.mit.edu  |immensity of the sea. -- Antoine de Saint Exupery