Date:      Thu, 9 Feb 2017 13:29:03 -0500
From:      Theron <theron.tarigo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CFT upgrade to xorg 1.18.4 and newer intel/ati DDX

On 02/08/17 20:25, Jonathan Anderson wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2017, at 20:25, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>
>> Do not expect newer gpu supported as this is not the kernel part.
>>
>> If you experience any issue with intel or radeon driver please try to use the
>> new modesetting driver provided by xorg directly (note that fedora and debian
>> recommands to use that new driver instead of the ati/intel one)
> This is working well for me together with the drm-next changes from https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics. In fact, with recent drm-next bits, I can even suspend and resume with my Skylake notebook, something that has rarely worked before, and applications that used to crash deterministically (e.g., Thunderbird when opening an OAuth window) are now working fine. Overall, this is a very nice experience!
>
> Thank you!
>

> Jon
> --
> Jonathan Anderson
> jonathan@FreeBSD.org
I am using this same configuration on a notebook with Intel Skylake and
it is working similarly well.  With the -video-intel, my system would
reliably freeze up upon any operation seeming to involve lots of screen
updates, such as window resizing and video.  With modesetting these
issues are gone.  My system now runs reliably without image corruption,
freezes, or panics.  Suspend and resume are also working.  The only two
things that are missing are backlight control and GLX.  The error is
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
So I suspect I made a mistake somewhere in building the ports and need
to redo this.

I am very happy with the progress that has been made; this now allows me
to run FreeBSD as my primary OS as I no longer have to work in a VM
within Linux.

Theron Tarigo