Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 17:33:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        "The Varney's" <KingKong@madbbs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: H.S. networking (beginners)

> What we are looking for is:      Putting in Novell or similar to handle both
> Mac and IBM compat PC's Lotus for inter room messaging, An antivirus
> program, And a program for security, The ability to use both
> Mac and PC programs on the same system, The ability to access
> the internet from all pc's Share printers

	FreeBSD can do most this. Personally I'd rather just set up
Sendmail for messages, it's going to be a lot easier in the long run. As
for security.... what do you need? You could run a NetBSD Firewall for
security from the outside world. From the inside if you've got a student
smart enough to hack into FreeBSD, make him a student staff member! :)
	What you're going to want to do though is going to take more then
one server to be done right. Luckily though you can use a bunch of those
ol' 386s and 486s you've got sitting around. You'll want to setup several
printer servers, one for a firewall, and you'll be set to go. No need to
buy Novell or Lotus and spend money that the school dosen't have....

> We (technology committee) are looking into different OS systems and are
> interested in FreeBSD, but are not quite sure how this system will work for
> us.  I have had several people from FreeBSD (supporters?) e-mail me,quite
> promptly, with lots of information.   Though all the e-mail has been
> informative, I'm still not sure how we can intagrate FreeBSD into our
> system.        Thanks.........Kurt         Clymer, NY  (near lake Erie)

	What are you not sure about?!?!?! :) Take a 486, 16 megs of ram,
540 meg hard drive. Install 2.2.8 on it. Set it up as your firewall from
your current server unto the internet. Take another and set it up as a
printer server in one of the labs... :) At this point, all it's going to
cost you is time....

					Rick