Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:48:24 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems getting 4.3 release iso images

From: Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>
Subject: Problems getting 4.3 release iso images
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:11:16 -0700

> I don't mean to be too critical of you guys, because I know you work
> hard and are busy, but...
>
> 4.3R might have gone a bit smoother if you had actually pushed it out to
> all your mirrors before announcing it.

As I thought had already made abundantly clear, the real issue was
ftp.freesoftware.com (AKA ftp.freebsd.org) going off the air on the
same day the release was scheduled to happen.  The outtage came
completely without warning and people were already going to
ftp.freebsd.org to check for the release since the date was
well-publicized in advance.  Given that there was no ETA for when (or
even if) ftp.freesoftware.com would come back up, actually delaying
the release indefinitely didn't seem like much of an option so a
backup site (actually a group of 3, all sharing the same bits with
round-robin DNS) was hastily located and pressed into service.
Even as it was, I didn't send the announcement out for another day
and, as it turns out, the extra delay didn't really buy us much.

We also ran into bandwidth limitations at the new site, basically, and
most of the mirrors found themselves with real trouble getting in,
even after I cut the limits by a third.  Now that you bring this up,
however, I'm noticing here that the mirrors still don't appear to be
getting in very easily given the upstream ftp rate limiting, so I'm
going to cut the limits again so that the anonymous user limits are
half of what they are now.  This will make it extremely difficult for
folks like yourself to get the bits for the next few days, but it
should at least ensure that the mirror sites get the best shot at
replicating them.

- Jordan