Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 09:50:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        shannon@magickalhome.com (shannon)
Cc:        yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thanks, ppp is working.  1 more question (for now:)

shannon wrote:
> Yes, I can kill the process.  If I telnet to port 3000 I get a connection
> reffused.  I don't have ppp.secret setup right, and I am not sure how.

[root@lucy /root]# cat /etc/ppp/ppp.secret
djv     SomePassWord
lucy    AnoTheRPassWd
[root@lucy /root]#

This ppp.secret contains the password for PAP-connecting to my ISP
(user djv).  Lucy is the name of the host that runs ppp, the
lucy line is the line that pppctl needs.

Then I can, from another host on the network, connect with

	pppctl -p AnoTheRPassWd lucy:3000 somecommand

You will need to add a

	set server ppp

line in ppp.conf. (and check that "ppp" in /etc/services is what
you think and hope.)

Dave
--
         Bedford County, PA -- 47,000 polite, friendly Appalachians,
                4,000 of whom have concealed-carry permits.