Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 18:14:48 -0700
From:      "John J. Rushford" <wjjr@sapphire.alisa.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        wjjr@sapphire.alisa.org
Subject:   2.1.5 Installation Woes

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem installing ports/packages from the
Walnut Creek 2.1.5 Cdroms.  It seems that since the ports and packages
reside on different CD's, the sysinstall utility does not work properly.
I've given up on using it and have begun to install ports/packages
manually.

When installing manually, I have to copy the ports files off the cdrom
onto the hard disk.  I'm using 'make install' and a 'work' directory is
expected and cannot be created naturally on the cdrom.  Is there
anything I can do differently to get around this?

Right now, my biggest problem seems to be the absence of 'imake'.  It
doesn't appear to be on any of the CD's and my manual installation
tactics have failed when trying to install 'apsfilter' which depends
on 'trasfig' which depends on 'xpm' which requires 'imake' (Frustration,
Frustration, Frustration).  I didn't seem to have so much trouble with
2.1.0.

Anyway, I can't read the FreeBSD newsgroups and get any help as I can't
install 'cnews', 'inn', 'tin', etc...

Can you give me any help/ideas?

thanks
John Rushford