Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:04:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster goes postal

In local.freebsd.stable you write:

>--ZoaI/ZTpAVc4A5k6

>On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 12:17:58PM +0100, j mckitrick wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 09:41:28PM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
>> | happened on three separate systems cvsupped this afternoon
>> |=20
>> | *** You installed a new /dev/MAKEDEV script, so make sure that you run
>> |     'cd /dev && /bin/sh MAKEDEV all' to rebuild your devices
>> |=20
>> |     Would you like to run it now? y or n [n] y
>> |     Running cd /dev && /bin/sh MAKEDEV all
>> |=20
>> | MAKEDEV: arith: syntax error: =E0                                      =
>         "{
>> |=20
>> | bad node: mknod i4bteld1
>>=20
>> Check the archives for the past few days.  This has been asked several ti=
>mes
>> in the last week or two.
>>=20
>> You'll either need to change the MAKEDEV script or change your CPUTYPE.

>WTF does CPUTYPE have to do with a shell script?

It looks like bug #24443, which depends on the content of the current
stack frame.  Thus small changes in input or compiler options may
change the symptoms, or make the bug "go away".

PR 24443 was recently fixed and committed to stable.  It looks like it
also fixes my -STABLE system (at least rebuilding /bin/sh with the
patch makes MAKEDEV behave again).

Now, all that is missing is some clueful scrutiny by a committer,
followed by an MFC :^)

  $.02,
  /Mikko
--