Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:50:45 +0100
From:      "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@tbv.se>
To:        <gummibear@nettaxi.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IP Address Management

The convention is probably to do what your teacher did!  In my case, servers
at the bottom, routers at the top, printers and stuff under routers and DHCP
gets the rest.

A C class network gives you 254 addresses which can be divided, for example,
into 1-16 for servers, 240-254 for routers, 224-239 for printers and 17-223
for workstations.  That should give you room to grow.  Basically, the actual
numbers depend on your needs, of course, but the arrangement indicates how I
like to keep track of things.  The host name - at least for servers - has
some kind of logical link to the IP address, too.

Price: $0.02
Value: that's another question!

mvh/regards

James