Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 00:17:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>
To:        alan_smithee_@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Y2K compliance

On 22 Nov, Alan Smithee wrote:
> Hi,
> I attended FreeBSDCon '99 where it was stated (as close as I can remember)
> that FreeBSD 3.2 was Y2K compliant. I believe it was stated that IBM did the
> audit since they recently acquired Whistle Interjet and had to perform the
> certification.
>
> However, on another freebsd mailing list, I saw that 3.3 contains Y2K
> related patches.
>
> Does someone have the definitive answer? I looked at the Y2K page on
> www.freebsd.org but couldn't find any mention of patches introduced in 3.3.

If you look at the Y2K page, you'll see "bin/14472" and "misc/14511",
both of which have been identified since the FreeBSD-3.3 release.
Additionally, the slurp port has had a problem fixed.

bin/14472 extends the date command to allow you to use 199910221913
vice 9910221913 for setting the date.

misc/14511 fixes the problem of using "chpass with 00" to set an
expiration date (however, "chpass with 2000" works).

You could argue that neither of these effect the Y2K compliancy of
FreeBSD-3.3

-SR