Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:20:22 -0700
From:      Gregory Carvalho <GregoryC@stcinc.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Spawn not functioning

While installing Oracle 8.0.5.1 on FreeBSD 3.2R using instructions from
http://www.freebsdrocks.com/show.php3?ThisArticleID=5016&start=1&sReturn=25&search_category=8&search_criteria=&search_field=
the installation program calls spawn which causes the setup app to
abort.

Here is an example of the failure:
An operating system error occurred while trying to spawn 'cat
/usr/home/oracle/oracle805.install/orainst/README.FIRST | \grep \.'
while redirecting output to '¨^](e no^'. (No such file or directory.)
Would you like to retry the operation, ignore the error, or allow the
error to be processed by the Installer?

The only operational choices cause the install to abort. I commented out
the offending line in unix.stp, restarted the install, and orainst
continued to the next spawn, spawn("touch /etc/oratab"); so I
modified ORATAB to /usr/local/oracle/etc/oratab to no avail, the
redirection to '' (orainst reports this as the redirection location)
generated on line 1828 of unix.stp causes the install to abort.
Apparently, spawn needs to redirect it's output. Do you know what I can
do to make  spawn's redirection operate properly?

Thanks,
Greg