Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:33:55 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        AdJ <arman_dj@edsamail.com.ph>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD work on my system/setup?

AdJ wrote:

> A pleasant day to all of you.  I am posting this question to seek help before I decided to install FreeBSD on my system/setup.  My computer's configuration is as follows:
>
> CPU              -   AMD K6/2 - 450Mhz (2.4v)
> Motherboard  - EpOX MVP3-G2 - Via Apollo Chipsets
> Memory          - 128MB (2 x 64MB; 1-EliteMT-single sided + 1-Hyundai - single sided)
> Hardisk          - 1 x 8.4GB (Seagate - EIDE - Master - 2 partitions) + 1 x 4.3GB (Seagate - EIDE - 2nd Master - no partition)
> Video Card    - S3 Savaged-3D (86c391) - 8MB w/ TV Out
> Monitor          - Generic 15"
> Sound Card   - Yamaha - Xwave - XG3000 chipset
> Modem          - Acer Fax/Modem w/ voice - V.90 - external
> Printer            - Epson Stylus Color - 660
> OS Installed   -  Windows 98 SE
>
> What I would like to know is if FressBSD will work on my current configuration.  I am planning to install it on my second harddisk (4.3GB), will it be possible? How can I do it?  Also, if there is no problem in installing FreeBSD on my system...can I use Boot Magic for the multi-OS booting system? If not...any suggestion?
>
> Thank you very much.  Your consideration on my inquiry is very much appreciated.
>
> PS.
>
> I have completed the download of FreeBSD 3.4 & 4.0 iso-images and already burned on CDs.  Whick of the two do you suggest I better or more compatible on my system?
>
> Again...thank you and keep sharing your knowledge to us who needs it...thanx! :)

Yes, as for X-windows however, I'm not sure of your video card. Is it
AGP or PCI, (you never specified that part)?
	Anyhow, I have a very similar system using an AMD K62-500 on the same
MB you are. With a 10G Maxtor ATA disk, an 8meg PCI ATI All-in-Wonder
Pro card, 2x Creative UDMA DVD-Rom, 8x 4disk NEC ATAPI CD-Rom changer,
an Adaptec 2920 PCI adapter (non-bootable) with a 4x6 CD-Burner, and
five 4.3Gig quantum disks attached to it.
	It's currently running FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE, with no problems. It will
shortly be revamped and made to run 4.0-Stable (snapshot).
	I use it primarily as a workstation, for
word-processing/internet-browsing/email/irc/etc. (all from X-Windows).
Many of our webservers/email servers/dns servers/database servers/file
servers here at the office share a similar configuration as well.
	You should be fine with 3.4-RELEASE, but it's basically a matter of
preference weather you go to 4.0-RELEASE, or 4.0-STABLE.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com