Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 1995 19:22:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        jmb@kryten.atinc.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WANGDAT strangeness

> [0]a WangDAT tape drive that under 2.0.5 won't let you remove the media until
> [0]you reboot the system, OR you can issue a mt offline, remove the media, and
> [0]then reboot to get the drive to load new media - that really stinks and

This is correct see later..

> [1]	this problem must be unique to WangDAT or at least non-exabyte
> [1]4mm tape drives.   i use a 4mm for daily backup.  unload the tape with
> [1]"/usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rst0 rewoffl".   load a new tape every morning and
> [1]haev no problems at all.

no he probably hasn't tried to do an mt offline  yet.

> [2]The DAT drive has a READY and an ACCESS light.  Under SCO, the READY light
> [2]would blink yellow while loading/unloading, then remain green until the
> [2]media is unmounted.   The ACCESS light only blinked during
> [2]commands/transfers, etc.  So when the drive is idle (tape loaded or
> [2]unloaded), the ACCESS light is dark.

ok, so SCO is broken.. so?

> [2]
> [2]On 2.0.5-R, the ACCESS light is off until you touch the drive, then it
> [2]goes on solid and remains on regardless of activity.   Once the drive is
> [2]touched, the front-panel eject button no longer works.  (From external
> [2]appearances, it acts like it is always in the middle of processing a
> [2]command from the host.)
no, it is stopping joe-random from pushing the eject button while you are
part-way through your set of 'dump's .
if you want to you can easily re-enable the button..
(try mt -f /dev/nrst0 offline)

> [3][snip]
> [2]I have been using the DAT drive for about four years under SCO UNIX with
> [2]their standard driver, so I know that the drive works well.

it's working ok, we just expect it to actidifferently than you do..

> [3]	the wangdat drive may have broken firmware...my toshiba cdrom
> [3]does.  i had to patch the kernel to overcome it...the drive claimed to be
> [3]a hard disk!  how about sending in the dmesg output, boot with -v, please.

what  devices are you using?
read the man page for st
 ( man 4 st)

read carefully about a 'mount session' and tapes.
As long as a mount session is in progress the 'eject' button is dissabled

This is as it should be

End the mount session by:
accessing /dev/rst0 (not nrst0)
using the mt command to take the tape offline.

|   __--_|\  Julian Elischer       |       \     U \/ / On assignment
|  /       \ julian@ref.tfs.com    +------>x   USA    \ in a very strange
| (   OZ    ) 300 lakeside Dr. oakland CA. \___   ___ | country !
+- X_.---._/  USA+(510) 645-3137(wk)           \_/   \\