Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 14:50:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        gibbs@thefly.plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org, hardware@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] aah-2940uw, disk need low level formation

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>
> >called adaptec support.  after changing a number of controller
> >parameters on the aha-2940uw, each followed by a reboot.  adaptec
> >says "you have to low level format".  they state that the geometry
> >used by the aha-1540cp is not compatible with the aha-2940uw because
> >the aha-1540cp runs the scsi bus at 5 MB/s async and the aha-2940uw
> >want to run the scsi bus at 10 MB/s sync.
> >
> >this is the first time that i have heard such a recommendation.
> >does this match anyone's experience?
>
> Its not uncommon to have to dump and restore the data on a drive when
> switching between controllers with different translations (this is only
> neccessary if you need to boot off of the disk or access it via DOS BTW),
> but the 1540 and 2940 should have the same translation options.  The transfer
> speed should not affect how the data is stored on the media.  It sounds
> to me like the support tech you talked to was either on drugs or figured that
> by the time you low leveled the drive and restored your data and called back,
> he'd have gone home already.  Perhpas have some sort of IRQ conflict with an
> ISA device?

	the answer is "flash the bios to the most recent pnp version".

	teh bios did not support plug-in-dismay, flashing the bios
	fixed that.  nwo the aha-2940uw works well with the
	st32550n.

	new problem.....the ethernet card, smc 8013ewc, does not work.
	the error message is

	ed0: failed to clear shared memory at cc000 - check configuration.

	the card is hard jumpered to irq 10, ioaddr 300, mem cc000.
	worked great at that setting before i flashed the bios ;)
	installed 2.2-alpha via the this ethernet card at those settings.

	i will redo the ICU utility and make sure that these resources
	are not getting stolen by the pci bus.
jmb