Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:00:19 -0700
From:      "Glendon M. Gross" <gross@xinetd.ath.cx>
To:        "Gregory Neil Shapiro" <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>, "James McNaughton" <jtm63@enteract.com>
Cc:        "Andrew" <andrew@ugh.net.au>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Sendmail refusing periodic script output

I just upgraded a machine to 4.6.2 stable from 4.2 Release.  First I
downloaded the ISO and then
booted from it, following the upgrade instructions from sysinstall.  It
failed, but then I was able to do
a make world.  I had to use the "-k" option.

The only complaint I have is with the sendmail upgrade was that "make world"
overwrote a "hacked" Sendmail
configuration that was previously working for me behind NAT, and the new
sendmail did not process clientmqueue correctly.

My mail is back up, but I'm  using a NetBSD box to do it.... The new
sendmail did not work with my setup.  I'm not
sure why, but it would not process my local mail.  It either reported bad
permissions on
/var/spool/clientmqueue with "permission denied" for the smmsp user, or it
would fail with a strange looping
error.  Ultimately I think my DNS was not technically correct and the new
Sendmail didn't like forwarding
to the loopback interface.  I also added a second ethernet card to the box,
and that may have been the
real source of my sendmail problems.

I decided it's time for me to get caught up with the latest changes to
STABLE in order to piece
it all together.  But I've got no complaints so far.  Here's the results of
a 2nd make world attempt:

cc -pg -O -pipe  -DLIBC_RCS -DSYSLIBC_RCS -I/usr/src/lib/libc/include -D__DB
INTE
RFACE_PRIVATE -DINET6 -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -I/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/locale -DB
ROKE
N_DES -DYP  -c /usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/db/hash/ndbm.c -o ndbm.po
cc -pg -O -pipe  -DLIBC_RCS -DSYSLIBC_RCS -I/usr/src/lib/libc/include -D__DB
INTE
RFACE_PRIVATE -DINET6 -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -I/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/locale -DB
ROKE
N_DES -DYP  -c /usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/db/mpool/mpool.c -o mpool.po
cc -pg -O -pipe  -DLIBC_RCS -DSYSLIBC_RCS -I/usr/src/lib/libc/include -D__DB
INTE
RFACE_PRIVATE -DINET6 -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -I/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/locale -DB
ROKE
N_DES -DYP  -c /usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/db/recno/rec_close.c -o
rec_close.po
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib/libc.
*** Error code 1