Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:24:56 +0200
From:      Niki Denev <nike_d@cytexbg.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Portsnap is now in the base system

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 12:04, Colin Percival wrote:
> About 12 hours ago I committed portsnap to HEAD.  From the commit log:
>
>   Add portsnap to the base system.  This is a secure, easy to use,
>   fast, lightweight, and generally good way for users to keep their
>   ports trees up to date.
>
> In particular, users who just want to keep their ports tree up to date
> and don't want to do anything unusual (keeping a complete repository,
> checking out old versions of the ports tree, getting themselves rooted
> via a man-in-the-middle attack on cvsup, etc.) will probably find that
> portsnap is a very useful tool.
>
> There are several changes between the version in the ports tree and
> the version I committed to HEAD, but the only one which most users should
> notice is that the default location of portsnap's compressed snapshot has
> moved from /usr/local/portsnap to /var/db/portsnap .
>
> Please test.  The more people I see testing portsnap (I can see this via
> the log files on the portsnap mirrors), the sooner it will get MFCed to
> RELENG_6 and RELENG_5.  :-)
>
> Colin Percival

Hello,

I was wondering if it's not a good idea for the man page to be more specific
about the "random time" that "portsnap cron" sleeps?
Or unless of course you had something in mind when you wrote it that way
in the man page.

Anyway, thanks for the great utility, it saves me a lot of time and
bandwidth! :)

--niki