Date:      Wed, 07 May 1997 17:05:37 -0700
From:      John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suggestion for documentation

On Wed, 07 May 1997 19:43:04 EDT, Chuck Robey wrote:
>On Wed, 7 May 1997, John Heidemann wrote:
>

>> As a recent port submitter, it would be helpful if the handbook
>> listed what exactly to do with your port when you've got it working.
>> Other than that the handbook was very helpful (wrt ports).
>
>If you want, send it to me, I will test & commit it on Friday.
>
>OTOH, I would be _extremely_ surprised, if you wanted to get committer
>privileges ...

I should have given more background.

I don't follow FreeBSD development closely,
but I want to support it, so I want to make my software easy to use by
FreeBSDers.  I look at the handbook and do and test the port.
Now how do I get the port to people, get it in the collection, etc.?

I'm thinking of a new section 17.2.5.x on
<http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/porting.html>;
that says

    17.2.5.x After the Port Works

    To distribute your port to others,
    (1) Ftp your port to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/incoming
    and (2) send mail about it to freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG.

or whatever you think is best.

   -John Heidemann