Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:30:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/41552: TCP timers' sysctl's overflow

The following reply was made to PR kern/41552; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Cc: bde@zeta.org.au
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:24:19 -0700 (PDT)

 In article <200208131220.g7DCK5eQ076224@freefall.freebsd.org>,
 Bruce Evans  <bde@zeta.org.au> wrote:
 >  On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, G.P. de Boer wrote:
 >  > Now the question pops up if setting HZ -is- unusual. I can imagine that
 >  > there are many admins around who turned on polling for extra
 >  > performance/robustness and tuned option HZ because LINT says so.
 >
 >  Garrett clarified that setting hz to more than 1000 breaks more than the
 >  TCP timer sysctls.  It violates an RFC.

 I don't think that's a valid argument.  Our hz value is an
 implementation detail which shouldn't have anything to do with RFCs.
 The nugget of truth buried in what Garrett said is that increasing hz
 tickles a _bug_ in our TCP implementation, which in turn causes the
 RFC to be violated.  (The bug is the direct use of hz rather than the
 use of a scaled version of it.)  The proper solution is to fix that
 bug, not to restrict the value of hz artificially.

 In my opinion, 100 ticks per second is a ridiculously low value for
 hz on modern systems.  Even a PII/400 can run at hz=10000 without
 significant overhead.  (I.e., the overhead can hardly be measured.)
 There are plenty of reasonable applications that utterly rely on
 elevated hz values.  Dummynet is just one example.

 Note, I don't think the fix referenced in this PR should be merged
 into the security branches anyway, since it is not security related.

 John