Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:10:55 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating mmap(2) [nik@freebsd.org: Re: pipe]

There was no comment to these.  Any objections if I commit my proposed
changes?

----- Forwarded message from Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> -----

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:33:32 +0000
From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc: "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>,
   Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: pipe

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 09:50:55AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net> writes:
> > On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 06:11:06PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > >The second and third sentences of the second paragraph (the one that
> > >starts on line 23), as well as the entire eighth paragraph (that
> > >starts on line 45), address the questions you asked in your previous
> > >mail.
> > I know it addresses it. Unfortunately, I didn't understand a word of it.
>
> I don't see how it could get any clearer.
>
>                       [...]  If addr is zero, an address will be selected by
>      the system.  The actual starting address of the region is returned.

NAME

     mmap - map files or devices into memory

[...]

doesn't immediately shout "You can use this function to allocate memory
as well".

Perhaps

     mmap - allocate memory, or map files or devices into memory

would be better?

In addition, mmap isn't listed in the SEE ALSO for malloc(3), nor is it
listed in memory(3).  mmap() is listed in malloc(3), but only in an
error message.

----- End forwarded message -----