Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 1995 23:39:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@taronga.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: QIC-80 tape driver sucks..

On Mon, 4 Sep 1995, Peter da Silva wrote:

> >Is anyone using the floppy tape driver in FreeBSD for QIC-80 extended
> >length tapes?  I have a Colorado Jumbo 350 and the 'ft' program really
> >screws up when I use the DC2120-XL (170MB) tapes.  I'm also thinking about
> >upgrading to a T1000 Travan drive which supports up to 400MB
> >(uncompressed) tapes but I'm afraid it will have a similar problem.
>
> Upgrade to SCSI. Floppy tape is fundamentally broken and unfixable.
>
> NECXDirect has some pretty cheap (6-700 bux) SCSI QIC and DAT drives.

If I had $600-$700 to spend I would probably have bought a DAT or 8mm SCSI
drive, but I thought it would be much more economical (since this computer
is for home use and my backup needs aren't that great) to stick with a
floppy tape backup since it only cost $170.

Don't blame the hardware for FreeBSD's lack of driver support.  Linux
supported my QIC-80 drive just fine.  As soon as I analyze Linux's FTAPE
and the existing broken FreeBSD drivers, I'll try to come up with a
better solution, and if I do, I'll be happy to maintain it for the
FreeBSD team.  I'll keep everyone posted...

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL