Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 18:49:11 -0500
From:      Jonathan Wallace <jon@whoweb.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Local LAN, pppd, and tun0 device strangeness

OS: FreeBSD 2.1 (Walnut Creek CDROM)
System: Asus MB, Cyrix 166+

I'm noticing some strange domain name resolving characteristics
on my 2.1 system depending on the configuration I use when booting
the system.  I've been unable to determine an explanation for any
of it and would like input from anyone with experience in networking.

The problem that I am seeing is that if I access my ppp dial up account
with JUST the pppd daemon, my nslookups are noticably delayed compared
to when I run pppd with the tun0 device configured.  When I have tun0
configured in /etc/sysconfig, my nslookups occur almost instantaneously
from the time I press the return key.  Without tun0 configured in
/etc/sysconfig, there is a 5 to 7 second delay (no activity on console
or modem) before packets start going out to the 'net' for DNS
resolution.  It still works, but it's a rather aggravating delay period.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?
Jon
Advanced Digital Research
Email:	<adrl@whoweb.com>
WWW:	http://www.whoweb.com/adrl