Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 22:59:30 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: on the subject of changes to -RELEASEs...

Giles Lean wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:52:20 -0500 (EST)  pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co wrote:

> > I have not heard of cracking attempts to sendmail RECENTLY,
>
> These days they're just a given.  Only worth a comment when someone
> breaks (publically) the latest released version.
>
> >  but it IS
> > recommended to use smrsh (included with sendmail) on all versions. Why
> > aren't we including this?
>
> Because this requires (as you know) that vacation, procmail and
> whatever else people use from .forward files be installed in the one
> directory that smrsh will run programs from.  This will break existing
> installations.

vacation yes, but AFAIK procmail won't be affected. "ln -s" would
unbreak existing installations :).

> I recommend that we make this change for the 3.0 release.

I also use the unprivileged mailer, both options were suggested in an
old CERT advisory. Furthermore, I turn sendmail on from inetd under
tcp-wrapper control. Crackers got tired of trying my big box (I think
8-)).

Pedro.