Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 20:15:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Strange unexplained errors

	HI all.  I'm getting some rather strange errors on one of our
servers and I can't find the cause.  Remote connections to it are fine,
but local connections are automatically refused on all ports.  So
telneting to 127.0.0.1 or localhost renders "connection refused."  Yet all
outside connections are fine.  I can connect to it on any service port and
all services are responding normally.  Including sendmail.  When trying to
send mail via pine locally I get the error "Mail not sent. Sending error:
421 4.3.0 collect: Cannot write ./dfg4M1".  Aka connection refused.

	I also noticed something from the console.  It says "May 20
12:05:21 raiden sendmail[214]: g4KG5Lbj000214: SYSERR(user001): collect:
Cannot write ./dfg4KG5Lbj000214 (bfcommit, uid=1001, gid=25): Permission
denied".  I even get the same thing when logging in as root.  In hindsite
this only happened just recently within the past 2-3 days after we rotated
one of our SSH keys on this machine for SU access.  That probubly has
nothing to do with it, but it's the only change we've made in that time.
Well that and updating the root passwords.  :)

	This is not a priority, but it would be nice to try to fix this
before it spreads to anything else.  Anyone got a clue what's up with
this?  Thanks.  I know someone else asked this question once before but I
can't find the info on it.