Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 08:24:21 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu, tom@sdf.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Parity Ram

>  In reliability - more doesn't always mean safer.
>
>  Say, for example, I spread my database across two disks - but both
> have to be running for the software to gain access.  Then, I've just
> doubled the probability of failure; not halved it.

I think he meant "more" in terms of redundancy, not distribution.

Sure, if I split a database into 5000 chunks and put each chunk onto a
distinct node on my network then I've made things pretty fragile in
the process, but if each of those 5000 chunks is *identical* and any
one of the 5000 notes can provide it to a client, then I've created
something far more resistant to failure.  Let's not confuse this
situation by comparing apples and oranges. :)

						Jordan