Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:04:02 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newpcm/kobj MFC

> On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 11:53:45PM -0000, Cameron Grant wrote:
> > this is a followup to my proposal some weeks ago which recieved no relevant
> > commentary.
>
> I'm also concerned about breaking binary compatibility. I understand
> your reasons for wanting this, but we really shouldn't be breaking
> binary compatibility in -stable. If we keep doing this then no third
> party vendor is going to want to support drivers that they have to
> update every few months.

My concern as a "user" is that we continue to have maintained sound
drivers in RELENG_4.  My impression is that it will be a while before
CURRENT is working well enough for the great unwashed masses to use,
perhaps longer than usual for a new major version release.

It would be useful perhaps to gauge the actual impact of this
incompatability (how many people are using 3rd party sound driver?)
before making a decision.