Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 12:19:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@sidwell.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PS/Valuepoint -- lose keyboard using syscons

In our cluster of FreeBSD systems, we're running a 486/66 IBM
Ps/Valuepoint with 24 megs of ram and a 540 meg conner HD.  The system
comes iwth an onboard video card (S3 misc) and hd controller, plus ps/2
mouse and keyboard.  FreeBSD runs fine on the system (we isntalled
freebsd on the 540 from and existing machine, and moved it over).  On
booting, we found a small problem -- the keyoard freezes on boot.  It can
freeze as early as the sc0 discovery at probetime, or as late as several
minutes after boot when a user is logged in.  We did all the normal
debugging -- removed extraneous cards (in this case, only n SMC ethernet
card.)  No luck.  All thist time, the display works fine, just nothing on
the keyboard works.  The numlock light is stuck on (or off depending on
when it locked.)

We recompiled the kernel and switched to pcvt, and it works fine
(although we prefer sc0.)  A similar Compaq next to it with PD/2
keyboard/mouse works fine.  The boot prompts/load prompts also receive
keypresses fine as far as we can tell (eg., the wd(0,a)/kernel prompt works.)

The keyboard also doens't work under X11 unless we're runnintg pcvt.
Currently we're using pcvt and xdm on the system, but would like to at
least know why sc0 doesn't work.  any advice about siilar problems or
such would be welcome.

Robert Watson   rwatson@sidwell.edu   http://www.sidwell.edu/~rwatson/
The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature
is to build better mice.