Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 14:05:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        conrads@neosoft.com
Cc:        rhh@ct.picker.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE 64 MIDI config -- I'm lost

> >  |MIDI is driving me nuts.  I get no sound from playmidi, or it hangs my
> >  |system
> >  |altogether.  Installed the awedrv package from Randall Hopper, rebuilt my
> >  |kernel, but still no luck; AWE32 is not found at bootup.  Compiled the
> >
> > I suspect this might be PnP biting.  To my knowledge, all the AWE64s are
> > PnP.  Hardware wise, they're virtually identical to the AWE32.  My non-PnP
> > 32 detects OK.
>
> What I'm wondering about is: in the awe_detect* code, I see it looks like we're
> looking for a certain "signature" at certain addresses, otherwise the awe
> device is reorted as not found.  Could it be that these signatures differ
> between the AWE32 and 64?

as i already posted yesterday, the docs from the Linux support for the
AWExx say that the card actually uses three (3) addresses, which are
(going from memory here) 0x620, 0xa20, 0xe20. You have to set all three
in your PnP config menu otherwise the proba fails.

 I posted the relevant command yesterday, I think it was something like

	pnp X 2 os enable port0 0x620 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20

where X is the PnP CSN on your machine.

Why is 3 addresses and not one, i have no idea (well, they are
0x400 apart, and that probably means that the signature is designed
to avoid being mistaken with another card at 0x220 which only uses
10bit address decoding, as per the (old ?) isa standard.

> Frankly, I'm about ready to try the solution someone propsed a while back: get
> out the Exacto knife and kill the fu**ing Crystal!  :-)

there is no point in doing the above. The PnP code effectively disables
the device.

	Luigi