Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:00:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, guy@lisp.com.au
Subject:   Re: up arrow

>Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:56:07 +1000
>From: Guy <guy@lisp.com.au>

>Is it possible to make freebsd repeat previous commands by using the up
>arrow??? if so could someone please tell me how this is done.

That's a function of the program that reads the commands, which in
UNIX-like systems is a "shell".

Read the documentation (man page, for example) for the shell you use.
If that shell doesn't support the option, check the documentation of
other shells that you might want to use.  Examples of shells are sh,
csh, tchs, bash, zsh, and ash.

I know (from personal experience) that tcsh supports this.  I've heard
that bash also supports it.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621